Welcome and thank you for visiting my site!
I am a social media enthusiast and practitioner helping individuals, brands and organisations tell their stories to drive the change, mostly with the help of new technologies and social media. I work with people who are interested in experimenting with tech and social media to improve their own lives and to drive social change.
I am an active (social media, nonprofits, activism and coffee) blogger, citizen journalist and photographer. I organise networking and fundraising events. I am speaking at conferences.
To get in touch please e-mail sylwiapresley[at]gmail.com.
I am not always so serious though;) Read on if you want to find out more about my work.
The list below features range of specific activities I am involved in on a paid and voluntary basis:
- I help friends and their organisations to find the right tools and inspiration to share their own stories. I do not create stories you do not live or have. That would be fiction;) I simply help you to re-discover the value of stories you already have or might have a potential to create. I help find the right tools to use and audiences to share them with.
- I practice and preach citizen journalism. I am not a journalist.
- I teach and mentor people on usage of basic social media tools, on-line content and relationship management. I teach word of mouth marketing. SEO and paid media are not my speciality though, and I do not really like stats. I believe that stories are more powerful than number of clicks. I believe that strong networks are worth more than huge amounts of fans. I also believe that trust, respect and transparency should be at the core of your on-line presence.
- I help people run social media audits, manage their personal reputation on-line and set up meaningful KPI's for their digital work, but I am not a great fan of stats for the sake of numbers.
- I help brands and organisations find and talk to their on-line ambassadors. I do my best to follow best examples of industry codes of ethics and transparency. I think it's worth having a good product, service or experience before talking to your ambassadors.
- I help connect individuals and build trusted relationships if I think they are meaningful for both parties.
- I help drafting social media policies and codes of ethics based on London Institute of Ethics methodology and other industry standards.
- I help manage on-line conflicts or potential brand damage. I suggest doing it in the most transparent and respectful manner with respect to regional differences, social media competence and available communication channels.
- I help setting up blogs and other websites, but I am not a web developer, nor a web designer. While helping with blog or other tools set up I focus on your on-line presence and overall social media strategy.
- I organise networking events because I think that our on-line presence is a great extension of our off-line life and we need to cultivate both maintaining a healthy balance. Otherwise we would have no stories to tell!
- I work with kids, parents and teachers to use Internet wisely, but I do not promote relying of technical solutions only. I believe in honest, open relationship between people - both off-line, as well as on-line. I believe that as grown-ups we need to educate our children how to use the web wisely, with confidence and mutual respect. I help kids and their parents to understand the real potential and realistic risks of younger generations using the web. I focus on developing good practices and not relying on the technical solutions or fears rooted in our ignorance.
- I write reviews of on-line tools, websites, campaigns and events I like. I am particularly interested in freedom of speech, transparency, on-line ethics, kids in tech, women in tech and the ways nonprofits use the web. Occasionally I also write about commercial brands. I believe that the two sectors have lots to learn from each other! You can send me information to review or ideas for posts - if I find them relevant to my blog audience, I might post my honest opinion. I do my best to remain as transparent as possible on all my engagement with individuals, organisations or brands.
I am currently heavily involved in Voice as Director and Head of Client Services - great agency helping nonprofits and commercial brands to make sense of social media. Euan Semple explains it here in more detail:
Voice does great things and I am fortunate that its company values are similar to mine. However this here is my personal website.
Please note: My opinions on this site and in my private social media channels are not those of my current or past employers.
I also blog over at:
I contribute(d) to: